Fashion Designer Linda Rowe Thomas

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Different by Design.....Fashion Week in Review Part II

Mercedes Benz Fashion Fall 2011

I know, I know, I left you hanging for nearly a week. But before I can pick up where I left off at fashion week, please allow me to elaborate on some of the amazing things that took place in order to make the Romás Fall 2011 Presentation possible.

I believe it to be divine destiny that Godiva signed on as a sponsor for my show. I am their biggest fan! I was honored beyond belief that one of the world’s most renowned chocolatiers was willing to participate in my vision. I learned a long time ago that God does nothing small in my life. Needless to say, I’d be pleasantly surprised to discover that there were additional delights in store.

As I was frantically working to bring together the collection worthy of being inspired by Godiva, God was busy completing a design of his own. Without question, I believe in myself beyond measures. Therefore I never hesitate to put in my own blood, sweat, tears and finances to bring forth the dream to reality. It’s a stressful and almost impossible thing for any new designer to do alone. Good thing I wasn’t alone....
What I didn’t know was that on my behalf someone had chosen to tell my story within the industry.

At the end of day, established models, hair and makeup artist, coordinators, interns, assistants and so many others had come from all over New York. To my surprise, most came volunteering their time and services after they’d heard my story. They walked, hopped on the subway, whatever needed to just to be there for me. Wow! Really? My words can't express the gratitude that I felt, discovering what perfect strangers had decided to do for “me”. It is an action that I'll never forget, but pray that I’m blessed to pay forward.

Ok, so finally the doors open and as I said before, already the press is swarming. I was swiftly whisked away so that my grand appearance was timed just right. The music starts and the girls are poised and beautiful after being transformed at the hands of celebrity makeup artist William Marshall and others. (Honestly, I wish I had all the names.)

As I took my place in the finale walk, I was truly at peace. This is what I was born to do. To my surprise, there was a full house! The cameras began flickering like lightning flashes from all over the room. Getty Images was front and center. It was so Hollywood and all for little Linda from Douglassville, Texas. My meet and greet would reveal that the crowd consisted of representatives from Ebony, Essence, Seventeen, Elle, and Allure magazine, just to name a few. Seriously, I’d dreamt of the moment, even practiced it when I was younger, but seeing it unfold before my eyes was absolutely priceless. The sophomore collection definitely brought in some new faces. There were well known Industry bloggers, the Fashion List, Daily Front Row, Samantha from the Agency model management, the Examiner, and many, many more. Again, I wish I could name them all.

One of the highlights of my evening was being honored with the opportunity to meet with and be interviewed by Harriette Cole, whom we all know from Ebony magazine. (Pinching myself still) A hug from Anthony, producer of the Wendy Williams show was soon followed by a hug from Patrick, producer from Oprah. Yes, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat that these men, this crowd took the time to attend “my” event. Patrick was one of many familiar faces there to support me again. The lovely Kathy Sharpton arrived with her daughters and sister. Celebrity stylist Steven Styles, Mykel, Lisan of the Fabulous Report, Cognac, and Carla Hazel were back to let me know that I had their support.

When the applause died, the lights went dim and the room was quiet, I took the elevator to my suite and………. I did the happy dance all over that room. Without a doubt, ALL things are possible. And there is my week in review and what an awesome experience it turned out to be.
THANK YOU!!! From the bottom of my heart to everyone that put their hands into helping me make the Romás Fall/Winter 2011 Presentation a success. THANK YOU, to all the people that continue to support me from near and far.

What’s next? Hmmmm, Oprah? Ellen? Wendy? I’m ready for my close up………We’ll see, but someone should let Ellen know that I too went to high school in Atlanta, TX. I mean, hey, I’m dying to see if she recalls and can do the famous Atlanta High bunny hop. Yeaaaa, we were the Rabbits. LOL Until next time!

Fashionably yours,

Linda

Images by Shawn Punch & Devon Aderly

No comments:

Post a Comment